Church in Bleidenrod, Germany
The old half-timbered church was built in the first half of the 16th century. It is considered one of the oldest half-timbered churches in the former county of Alsfeld. It already existed between 1510 and 1526 and is classified as a historical monument today.
In the village book from 1629 it is recorded as a branch of the parent church in Burg-Gemünden. Also 1698 until now. There was a greater conversion of it in 1718. This work was done by master Johann Caspar Hofmann from Storndorf and three other unnamed craftsmen.
In 1775 the sanctuary with the quire arch was added and two round pillars were built in the nave.1825 and 1834 repair work was done on the church. The relocation of the entry port from facing the street to the northwestern gable wall happened some decades before. The former entry port is now an ogive window.
The interior of the church, beside the lower pewage, has a three way gallery with ballustrade paintings. On these pictures Jesus Christ, the apostles and the evangelists are portrayed.
The installation of the organ is not exactly known. There's a remark in the community archive that there was a repair on it in 1856. In a great overhauling in 1962 electrical blowers were installed.
The peal of bells consists of two bells. In both world wars the bigger one had to be delivered for melt down. In the last war the date of pick up was 14 Nov 1942. Through bounties of the inhabitants a new great bell was purchased after every war. This was done in 1953 for the current one. On the 4th advent 1953 it was consecrated during a divine service.
Both bells bear an inscription. The bigger one says: "Oh country, country, country listen to the word of the Lord!" and the smaller one: "Honor to the Lord aloft!".
*Translated from "Homberg Bleidenrod" 1989, a book commemorating the 700th anniversary of Bleidenrod.
More about Bleidenrod, Germany